Chronic Kidney Disease and Potassium — A Guide for the CKD Patient

Chronic Kidney Disease and Potassium — A Guide for the CKD Patient

Kidney Disease, Potassium, Renal Diet
by  Stephanie Legin RD, LDN Potassium as an element is a soft, silver metal that can be cut through easily with a butter knife! Potassium functions as an electrolyte in your body.  It is an abundant mineral in the body. Approximately 98% of the potassium in the body is in your cells.  Your muscle cells contain about 80%, while the other 20% can be found in your bones, liver and red blood cells.     Potassium has a strong “electric” relationship with another electrolyte, sodium.  Potassium is the main electrolyte in the fluid within your cells. It determines the amount of water inside the cells.  Sodium is the main electrolyte in fluid outside your cells. It determines the amount of water outside the cells. The kidneys are responsible for regulating this cellular…
Read More