Need something to jazz up your meat, poultry and fish but don’t want to add a bunch of sodium and preservatives to your dish? Try making your own versatile “shake and bake” coating! If you have CKD, you’ll want to make big batches of this low sodium, potassium and phosphorus crispy breadcrumb coating mix to have on hand and spice up your meals!
All-Purpose Coating Mix
- 1 ½ cup dry fine plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. marjoram
- 1 Tbsp. thyme
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1. Combine breadcrumbs, flour, parsley, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, marjoram and thyme. Stir to mix evenly.
2. Add oil to breadcrumb mixture and stir with a fork to blend completely.
3. Store in airtight container in a cool, dry place or store in freezer.
4. To use, place 1 cup of coating mixture in a plastic bag. Add several pieces of meat, poultry or fish and shake to coat.
5. Bake on parchment lined cookie sheet at 375 degrees, turning once after baking for 20 minutes. Continue cooking until meat is done according to meat thermometer.
Times will vary with meat type and thickness. One cup of mix will coat 1-2 pounds of meat. Makes 3 cups of mix.
Nutrition Information (per 1 cup of mix):
84kcal, 67mg sodium, 57mg potassium, 28mg phsophorus
Recipe used with permission from ARA