Looking for some flavorful, fresh tasting plant based side dishes? The following recipe checks all the check boxes for those of you with CKD looking to include more plant based, renal friendly recipes in your diet.
- 1 Tbsp. margarine
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup barley
- 1/3 cup white rice
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 stalk celery, chopped fine
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, melt margarine over moderate heat.
2. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft.
3. Add barley and rice and cook, stirring for about a minute.
4. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition Information (per ½ cup serving):
171kcal, 83mg sodium, 186mg potassium, 80mg phosphorus
Recipe used with permission from ARA