Green beans are naturally low in potassium and make an excellent kidney diet-friendly side dish at the holidays. Just season them up with some fresh onion and sodium-free herbs and spices!
Gourmet Green Beans
- 1 pound fresh (wash and snip off the ends) or frozen green beans
- 4 teaspoons margarine
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- ½ cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Black pepper to taste
- Juice from ½ lemon
1.Cook green beans in boiling water until tender, drain.
2. Melt margarine in skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, red pepper, and red pepper flakes until soft.
3. Add green beans to skillet and heat until green beans are hot.
4. Sprinkle black pepper and squeeze fresh lemon on top and serve.
Per Serving: 83 calories, 2 g protein, 197 mg potassium, 32 mg phosphorus
This recipe is used with permission from